Monday, August 30, 2010

Networking at Parties and in Social Settings

   Ever been at a party or a wedding reception and you meet someone new? One of the first questions is “What do you do?” Isn’t that great when  you have a cool job that you love. We loving answering that question when we have a great job where we feel some level of excellence in. But what if you’re “between jobs” and someone asks you that question. For example, lets say Jim has recently lost his job and he meets Bill at the bar during a wedding reception.  The conversation  might go something like this.
Bill: Hi, my name is Bill (offering a hand to shake).
Jim: Hey Bill, I’m Jim. How do you know the happy couple?
Bill: Oh, the groom and I work together. You?
Jim: The bride and my wife went to college together.
Bill: So, what do  you do Jim? 
Jim: Oh my gosh, look at the time, I need to find my wife.
   Obviously Jim didn’t realize that this was a great opportunity to network and build his contact list. Bill just told Jim that he is currently working with the groom. Bill is employed, but Jim has no idea what Bill does. He doesn’t know if Bill’s company is looking for a person with his skills and abilities. Why did Jim shy away and not tell Bill that he was recently let go and that he was looking for new opportunities? There are lots of reasons that range from embarrassment to anger to thinking no one give a darn. Regardless of the reason, Jim missed one heck of an opportunity to network. So how would that conversation go?
Bill: Hi, my name is Bill (offering a hand to shake).
Jim: Hey Bill, I’m Jim. How do you know the happy couple?
Bill: Oh, the groom and I work together. You?
Jim: The bride and my wife went to college together. (Starts thinking, how can I bring up my job search?)
Bill: So, what do  you do Jim? 
Jim: Well Bill, I’m in transition now and I’m looking for an opportunity where I could work with a team to bring products to market. What do you do?
Bill: I’m the Marketing Manager for XYZ company’s Widget product line. Tell me more about what you did at your last company.
Jim: Gee Bill, I’d love to but I don’t want to take you away from the festivities. How about I set up a meeting with you so I can go over my skills and accomplishments with you and see if you know of anything where they can use someone like me?  Do you have a card? When’s a good time to call?
   Bill and Jim just met and Bill’s only goal is to make the contact and nothing more. If Jim goes on to pull Bill aside and learn more about his skills and abilities he should go with the flow. But, only if Jim want to continue the conversation. If Bill talks to two or three new contacts at this one party and then follows up with them at a later time, he’s made a great first impression. Additionally, he has also told folks that he was looking for a job without dying of shame. Bill may have just met a new boss or co-worker. 


   So be prepared with what to say at a party or social event. Smile and make good eye contact when you shake hands. And look for opportunities to share with people that you are conducting a vigorous job search.


   Good hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment