Monday, April 19, 2010

Relationship + Success Story = Job Offer

A month or so ago I met with a fellow who asked me for some coaching regarding his job search.  This past week Jim sent me an email saying that he landed a job. I asked him what made the difference in getting the job offer. He said that he was very relaxed and built rapport during the interview . He also said that he and the interviewer talked at great length about one of his professional success stories . I asked Jim if I could share his email. He said that I could as long as I fixed his typos. Here's Jim's email with minor editing.

Hello Thomas…
   My knowledge of the job, combined with a degree, is what got me the interview, but I believe it was my rapport with the people interviewing me that actually got me the offer. I can definitely say, your advice helped a lot…
   First thing, as you mentioned, they offered me something to drink, and as you suggested, I accepted. From there we discussed the companies origins and how the people interviewing me helped to get the company where it was today. We then discussed where they were trying to go and what part the position I was interviewing for played in the company plans. During that time I talked about what I could do to assist the company with reaching their goals and targets making sure I kept the conversation more in the atmosphere that I was already part of their team. They really seemed to like the fact that I used the We/team concept rather than the I/me concept. 
   I must say the one thing the interviewers were really impressed by, was a quality award I had received from a company I did not work at….   We probably talked for 20 or 30 minutes about how, when, and why I won the award, the customer and team focus it represented.  Anyway, Michael, the owner, got back to my old boss and told him he really enjoyed our meeting and he was looking forward to seeing me again. 
   The only other comment I think I have is that…  for some reason I was extremely comfortable when we sat down to talk and I think that comfort might show as confidence. Like myself, the owner was a Southsider, and as you know, when I get excited about an issue I tend to develop somewhat of a Chicago accent. Well Michael, caught on to that pretty early in the interview and talked with me about where I grew up and how the neighborhoods had changed since we were kids…  Thinking about my childhood got me to think about my own kids and it just made me feel comfortable…
Jim

What Jim's letter reminds us is that being qualified gets you the interview. What gets you the job offer is how well they like you and believe that you can help them succeed. I imagine that the more Jim relaxed, the more confident he appeared and the more relaxed the interviewers were. That made it easier for them to envision Jim working for them. Additionally, when Jim cited the success story about the quality award he won from a customer he hit on an important value to the interviewer. Jim went into the interview prepared and he didn't try to be something he wasn't... and that won him the job offer. Now you know that it's not magic, anyone can do it, so "Do it, Make it Happen!" 


Congratulations, Jim. Thanks for sharing your story.


If you have a story about an interview that went well, send me an email or post a comment here.  It really is important to realize that interviewing is all about establishing a relationship with the interviewer(s) and building on that with relevant success stories. 

Later this week I'll be speaking at Harper College at the Career Stimulus Program. My topic is, "Would you hire yourself?" I'll be discussing what interviewers are looking for in candidates. Interviewing is an ability that everyone can build into a skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment