Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Dealing with the Salary Elimination Question



There are two phases in a job search. First, you need to get a job offer. The second is evaluating and accepting the job offer. Realize that any conversation or questions about salary before you’ve been offered a job is not the time to negotiate salary. It is time for you to get past this question on your way to getting a job offer. Once they’ve made you an offer it is time to consider it and to negotiate salary and other benefits, compensation and perks. What were are talking about here is dealing with the Salary Elimination Question.


E: Employer
C: Interviewee or Candidate

E: What kind of salary are you looking for?
C: I’m looking for a salary in line with the responsibilities of the position.
Or you could say...
C: I really like your company and all my research leads me to believe that you offer a fair and competitive salary.
E: That’s nice. I really need to have a number; what are your salary expectations?

C: Oh, I’m looking for something in the 45K range.
E: That’s a little higher that we were expecting. Would you take less?
C: I’d consider it.

E: What was your last salary?
Let’s say that you were making a very high salary and due to the economy or because of a career shift you are applying for a lower paying position.

C: Oh, I’m looking for something in the 75K range.
E: That’s right in the range for the position you’ve applied for, but I still need to know your previous salary
C: I am making some allowances for the economy so I’ve reduced my salary requirements. I was earning 110 thousand in my last role. But that was a much different job.
E: Okay, thank you...

The goal here is to get through this question and not to make a big deal about it. Realize that I have refrained from two different responses. First, I didn’t use the word negotiate nor the word negotiation. Negotiate can be seen as an adversarial term. This is not the time to raise eyebrows; it is a time to build rapport. I also didn’t try to take the upper hand in the interview by asking a question like, “What does the job pay?” or “What are you expecting to pay for this position?”  This is a negotiation strategy and not appropriate at this time. Second, I also didn’t say anything that could be seen as desperate for the job. “I’m open, I’ll take anything!” is an absolute no-no! Just be cool and calm, answer the question simply and to the point.


You can also visit: xtranormal to view a movie clip on how this might work.

 
Just for Laughs!!!

2 comments:

  1. Coaching is a simple and effective from of personal development. Everyone is familiar with the concept of coaching in sport, and life coaching is similar in principle. Thanks for the information.

    Career Coaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's Brilliant & Useful Career Tool to create a Meaningful CV.

    ReplyDelete