Saturday, December 10, 2011

Beware of Scams Aimed at Job Seekers


Things are actually improving out there for job seekes, employers and even store owners. Really, it’s true, I’m not just a Pollyanna. Slowly things are getting better. I have clients landing jobs all the time out there. Last week, I had two clients land and two more are having second interviews and they feel really positive about the opportunity.

The week before last, a client told me that she had a job lead that she found through Craig’s List. At first she was pretty excited and then got suspicious when the hiring manager asked in an email if she wanted to work part-time, full-time or temporary, they were open to whatever she needed. It sounded a little too good, even though things are getting better out there, nothing is that good.  

My client, Sharon Zurek, sent me her story to share with you:

I was searching Craig’s list for job opportunities and noticed one for Events Planner.  I sent my resume and cover letter and received a response that I would be hired for the position.  I was instructed to find a 3-5 star hotel, travel accommodations and meal planning for 20-25 people for 12/8-12/10.  When I sent a detailed list of all the questions that needed to be addressed prior to security deposit to hold rooms and contracts for transportation, I received email stating to just book it and the attendee list would be coming shortly.  I would be receiving check to pay for expenses in the near future. I replied back that I wanted no part of this.

The post office tried to deliver a package for my signature but I was not home.   I went to post office and when I opened the express letter (at the post office) inside was a cashier’s check for $2,780 from a credit union in WA, the sender was from Oregon and the envelope was mailed from Atlanta.  I was instructed to deposit check, keep $60 for my work and go to Western Union to send a money order from the remaining balance immediately to someone in CA.  I spoke to postmaster and she took all the documents and will turn them over to USPS Fraud Department.  

So take Sharon’s experience to heart and don’t let the bad guys take advantage of you or your friends. You can contact Sharon, who is on LinkedIn if you have the need of a legitimate event planner and membership manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment