Thursday, May 20, 2010

"I really liked him, but..."


On the way out to my next appointment, the manager stopped me to ask me what we were talking about. I had been working with a client at a local Caribou Coffee shop discussing  networking and interviewing techniques. She over heard me making a point to my client. 

Maria told me that they had a Job Fair the other weekend from 9:00 to 1:00 and 30 people came in to fill out applications and interview. She shared with me some of her experiences from the Job Fair and as a manager interviewing candidates. 

She had one young fellow that was really sharp and had really great answers to all of her questions. She really liked him and would have hired him but... he was wearing a baseball hat backwards during the interview. She went on to tell me that they have a uniform at Caribou and she doubted that he would respect the uniform. 

Maria told me to her, little things really matter - a lot! How someone dresses, do they have a pen and a copy of their resume all shout to her about the person's attitude. "If they're not prepared for the interview, how prepared will they be on the job?"

Maria shared with me a frustration she has with professionals in transition. These folks may have had big jobs managing big budgets or departments; in the interview they talk about what they did in the past job without consideration of what she is looking for. She's looking for people who can make a year or more commitment and can demonstrate customer service and teamwork skills.

It's important for folks to remember that it may be a survival job to you, but to the interviewer it is their career. What messages are being sent? The interviewer may be looking for punctuality and dependability, and feel patronized when the discussion moves to how you managed a million dollar budget.

This is not dumbing down your resume, it's presenting your skills and abilities in response to the interviewer's needs. It's putting your focus on the job and not on your needs  or making yourself feel important. 

So, if it's a survival job your looking at or even the next step in your career remember everyone's favorite radio station is WII-FM. (What's in it for me!) Play the songs and tell the stories they want to hear. Be prepared to make a favorable impression by presenting yourself in a positive light.

Good hunting...

No comments:

Post a Comment