Wednesday, March 31, 2010

JOBS: Movies and Books

   Movies, books and music have a powerful impact on our lives. I worked with a sales guy who watches Top Gun the night before a big presentation and then listen to the song Highway to the Dangerzone in the car on the way. He says that it inspires him -- pumps him up so he is at his best for the meeting. There are times when, in the midst of a job search we lose our confidence reading a book or seeing an inspirational movie can help "pump you up" and give you a needed boost.

   What movies inspire you? Are there any movies that you would recommend to job seekers that could use a boost; some inspiration!  Two jump to my mind: The Secret of My Success with Michael J. Fox comes to mind. Then Working Girl with Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford is a great movie of someone getting their dream job against all the odds.  But I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface... what are the movies that you suggest? 

   Book are inspiring and a source of information. My top five books (in no specific order) for people in job transition are:
   These are all grand books and I recommend them to my friends and clients. But there are many others. Norman Vincent Peale's book entitled The Power of Positive Thinking. And Susan Whitcomb has a good book on Interviewing which is part of the Magic Book Series called Interview Magic: Job Interview Secrets from America's Career and Life Coach

   What books do you recommend to people? Why? If you've been in job search in your career what books made a difference to you? 
   Comment back and sound off about the movies, books or songs that had an impact on your career and life on the job or when looking for work. For example: Let the River Run by Carly Simon

2 comments:

  1. Books -
    - Endurance (the story of Earnest Shackleton)
    - Survivor's Club
    - Jump start Your Brain by John Hall
    - The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell
    - Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will

    Music -
    - Carmina Burana
    - Take Five - Dave Brubeck
    - Blue Rondo a la Turk - Dave Brubeck
    - Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky (especially the Great Gate of Kiev)

    ReplyDelete
  2. During the period of when I had first been informed that I was going to be laid off, a friend suggested I read the book... "Who Moved my Cheese" by Spencer Johnson M.D.. At first view I felt the book was ... well... so so.

    Then after about six months after being out of work and not getting any responses to my resume, I picked up the book again and found it encouraging and inspirational enough to start applying for positions outside of my comfort zone. I have not landed that perfect job yet, but I am getting more calls and finding more positions I know I will feel comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete