Thursday, February 18, 2010

Job Hunting Scripts

    Talking to people is difficult. At least that is what people tell me when they are explaining why networking is difficult for them to do. This is especially true for the "introvert" person, but many feel the same way.

    Aside from the fact that public speaking is one of the greatest fears human beings suffer from, why is it that people find talking to people difficult? I believe it is because we don't know what to say.

    Why do I believe this? Because I've seen people talking at work or church who tell me this. Therefore, people don't like talking to people they don't know. When you are talking to a friend you know what to say and you're comfortable with what they will say to you. So the way to become more comfortable talking to people you don't know is to be prepared.

    The best way I can think of to be prepared is to have scripts available to speak from. This is a great way to talk to people on the phone... even people you know. Telemarketers do this and it seems to work for them. Have you noticed all the phone calls you get around dinner time, even if you're on a "no call" list? Scripts work when you are calling someone, but what about face-to-face meetings?

    Of course you should have a script for face-to-face meeting. You should have scripts for voice mail messages. And you should have scripts for social and networking events. Here are some examples:

Phone Scripts
    "Hello, my name is ___________, and __________ from XYZ company recommended that I call you. I'd really appreciate a few minutes of your time to get some advice about your industry."
    "Hi, this is ____________. I was talking to _____________ yesterday and she suggested that I talk to you..."

Voice Mail Script
    "Hello, my name is ___________, __________ from St. Thomas recommended that I call you, he suggested that we need to get to know one another. Please call me at ___-___-____."

Social or Networking Event Script
    "Hello, I'm ___________, how do you know __________? What do you do when you're not attending parties like this? ... I'm a ____________ in transition it sounds like we might have somethings in common. Do you have a card and I can call you to talk sometime?"

Face to Face Meetings Scripts
    "... The reason I wanted to meet with you was to get your help and advice about your industry..."
    "... You might already know that I am in job transition and I was hoping you'd look at my resume and tell me if you knew of anyone that could utilize someone with my skills and abilities..."

    The above is a good starting point. Next you'll need to build your own scripts and practice them. Make them conversational and comfortable for a give and take exchange. If you need help developing or practicing these scripts ask a friend or call Coach Cunningham Consulting for professional assistance and support. Ask for the Head Coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment